Some of the best parts of summer are the sun and just enjoying the outdoor warm weather. But as we all know, the sun and the heat can do a number on our skin. So while we want to look tan, healthy, and fresh, the reality, too often, is that we look hot, sweaty, and sunburned with dry skin. And that sucks, but it doesn’t have to be that way. You can rock summer skin by following a few tips!
- Sunscreen: Always! Never skip it if you’re going to be outdoors. Use an oil-free formula to help prevent breakouts, and know that this is the #1 secret to healthy skin. Make sure it has broad spectrum protection with an SPF of 30 or more, and remember to reapply after swimming an sweating. Click here to get a FREE sample.
- Lip balm: Dry lips don’t just happen in the winter, so keep your lips moisturized in the summer, too- using a lip balm with SPF protection.
- Hair and scalp: Protect your scalp from sunburn and harmful sun with a sunscreen spray for hair. Spray your hair, too, to prevent drying and to protect your color.
- Wide brim hat: This will provide extra protection for your face and neck. Get one you love and make a fashion statement!
- Exfoliate: Keep your skin looking fresh by exfoliating about once a week to remove dry, dead skin.
- Moisturize: Use fast absorbing lotions. They work really well and are not too heavy in the hot weather.
- Mineral makeup: Makeup with a mineral formula are lighter and more comfortable on your skin in the heat, and some even come with SPF. They also won’t melt right off like oilier makeup.
- Self-tan: By now we all know that a suntan is actually sun damage, but I still really want that summer glow! Stay safe by using self-tanners and your skin will thank you. I would love to recommend my favorite here, but I’ve found that it’s really a process of trial and error with self-tanners. But work with it- it’s worth it in the long run. Tinted moisturizers are also great for faking a tan.
- Cool shower: A cool shower when it’s hot just makes sense, but there are also benefits for your skin. Cool water is less drying than hot and it will help decrease acne breakouts caused by sweat.
- Drink water: Drinking lots of water is always an important health tip, and especially when it’s hot, since you lose water through sweat. Keep your body hydrated and your skin will look great!
- Eat for your skin: Eat foods that are rich in antioxidants and healthy fats. Summer fruit like cantaloupe and watermelon are good for your skin and for staying hydrated. Healthy fat in foods like fish, avocado, and nuts can help prevent wrinkles.
- Refrigerate your eye cream: Don’t you hate when the heat and humidity make you look all puffy? Keep your eye cream in the fridge to help with that. You’ll also love how refreshing it feels.
- Pedicure: It’s sandal weather, and don’t forget there’s skin on your feet, too. Treat yourself to a pedicure at the salon, or do it at home to save money. Get a foot scrub or pumice stone and use it every day in the shower.
- Rosewater spray: It sounds a little decadent, which is nice, but rosewater spray has antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties that help prevent breakouts and puffiness. And what’s wrong with treating yourself, anyway? A spritz of rosewater is also cooling, refreshing, and hydrating.
Don’t spend your summer in the air-conditioned indoors! Get out there and enjoy the warm summer weather! Take these precautions and you’re skin will look better than ever!
Do you have smart summer skin tips? Share with us on Facebook and Twitter!