What a cliché title! Go ahead- roll your eyes- I’m actually rolling my own, but I just couldn’t help myself! I’ve always thought that bananas are just about the most perfect snack. Okay, I mean: bananas are just about the most perfect snack after chocolate. And while no one should ever feel guilty about indulging in chocolate (which also has its health benefits), it is a food that should be enjoyed in moderation. For most people, though, bananas can be enjoyed whenever, and pretty much as often as you want. Hence the corny title.
Bananas are the perfect portable snack- they come in their own wrappers and besides peeling, require absolutely no prep work. You can’t say that about many other healthy snacks. When I was a kid, my mom would bring bananas for our snacks in the playground because we could eat them without having to touch them with our filthy, germ-covered playground hands. My mom is smart. And nice, so she did sometimes buy us ice cream, but with the appetites we worked up playing, we were happy to devour those bananas, oblivious to the fact that we were also getting in an incredible nutrition boost.
Bananas have so many health benefits. I always knew they were good for you, but I recently found out just how much good stuff they have and I am truly amazed- and so inspired- that I feel like sharing my new admiration for the banana. Here’s what bananas can do for you:
- Help with depression because they raise levels of serotonin, a happy neurotransmitter.
- Prevent muscle cramps because they are a good source of magnesium.
- Lower blood pressure and help prevent heart attack and stroke because they have lots of potassium.
- Keep your digestive system running well because of important digestive enzymes, probiotics, and fiber.
- Help ward off anemia because they contain iron.
- Bananas contain antioxidants which work in many ways to keep your body healthy.
- Reduce swelling, protect against Type-2 diabetes, strengthen your nervous system, help with the production of white blood cells, give you energy, and help you sleep well- all because bananas contain Vitamin B-6.
In addition, bananas make a very smart snack choice. They are a natural way to satisfy a sweet craving while helping to regulate your blood sugar. Because bananas contain fiber, they will help you feel full and satisfied for a while. And bananas are so versatile. You can buy a banana almost anywhere and enjoy it as is, but try them frozen and you’re in totally new territory! Throw them into smoothies and muffins. For a special treat try this easy, healthy ice cream recipe. Bananas are almost like a snack freebie. They are inexpensive and you don’t have to feel guilty enjoying such a sweet indulgence. I have to say it again- just go bananas!