It’s a new season, so naturally you’ll want a whole new wardrobe. I totally get it! I also totally don’t have the budget to do that, so that means I’ll have to be creative and revamp what I already have. I have to admit that while I’d really love to get a whole bunch of new things, the idea of taking what I have and making it new is actually pretty exciting. It means I get to be creative and original, and I’m always up for that. If you’re in the same boat, or you just feel like saving your pennies for other things, read on for some tips on how to kick up your wardrobe without spending a lot!
- Clean out your closet: First of all, you want to get rid of the clutter so you can think clearly. Simplicity always helps and you might as well get rid of what you’ll never use again. Give it away- or sell it and make a few bucks! Another benefit of clearing your closet is that you never know what you’ll find! You probably have a lot that you’ve forgotten about- so dig it out and make it work for you!
- Take some risks: Don’t stick with your old, safe standbys; mix patterns and styles and get out there with your look. You’ll find whole new ways of wearing what you already own.
- Swap with a friend: You know the stuff you found in your closet that you no longer want? Maybe your friend does, and wants to trade for her castoffs. Everybody likes a change, so you’ll be helping each other out.
- Get inspired: Look at magazines and Pinterest for ideas on how to pull some new looks together.
- Accessories: With the right accessories you can change up your look over and over again. Even if you’re on a strict budget, you can usually find some scarves, costume jewelry, and other fun accessories on the cheap. And you can always buy a new lipstick for just a few dollars and give your look some pop!
- DIY: Add some fringe or patches to an old jacket and create something new! There are lots of great DIY ideas out there to help you turn old into new! It’s fun to do and you’ll have something unique. Pinterest is a great resource for this, too.
- Thrift shop: Always a good place to shop for bargains.
- Tweak what you have: When your clothes go out of style you can always tweak them by tailoring. Changing a hem, tapering a pair of pants, or changing some buttons are some of the ways you can update your wardrobe without the expense of buying something new.
How do you kick up your wardrobe on the cheap? Share with us on Facebook and Twitter!