No one really likes to diet. Oh, sure, there are people who say they love to eat clean and healthy, but that’s not the same as saying you love to diet! Dieting makes you feel restricted and desperate- two feelings that will doom any diet to failure before you even get started. So what do you do if you want to lose weight? First of all, don’t refer to what you’re doing as dieting; think of it more as taking on a component of a healthy lifestyle- it all starts with the proper mindset. Try teaming up with a buddy for some support, and get as much real information as you can- you can get a FREE one-year subscription to Weight Watchers Magazine for some inspiration. And have a few tricks up your sleeve so that you won’t feel deprived and you’ll always be prepared. Like these 12 weight loss tricks:
- Eat what you like: If you decide to cut out ice cream, all you’ll be able to think about is ice cream! So allow yourself a treat when you need it- just make sure you plan for it (save some calories from another meal or snack) and that you practice portion control.
- Eat well: Make sure you’re eating enough protein, fiber, and healthy fat and your appetite won’t freak out. You’ll find it a lot easier to be in control if you’re not desperately hungry.
- Eat breakfast: Eating a healthy and satisfying breakfast sets the tone for the rest of the day.
- Be satisfied: You should feel satisfied at the end of a meal; not full.
- Eat snacks: Most dieters believe that snacking is a no-no, and that’s not true at all. It’s perfectly okay to snack- as long as your snacks are no more than 150-200 calories and include a nutritious component like protein, whole grain, and healthy fat.
- Get enough sleep: What you eat isn’t the only factor in play when it comes to weight loss; your body needs enough sleep to help with that. Missing sleep messes with hormones that control your appetite and metabolism, and when you’re tired you’re more apt to make unwise food choices.
- Be prepared: You can still go out to eat when you’re trying to lose weight, but be smart about it. Read the menu online before you go so you’ll have time to make good choices. Also, carry a small bag of nuts or an apple for a snack emergency and you’ll be less tempted to hit the snack machine.
- Eat throughout the day: Have smaller meals and a few snacks. This will help keep your blood sugar steady, preventing hunger and weakness.
- No processed foods: Stay away from white grains and food with ingredients you can’t pronounce.
- Eat from a small plate: Serve your dinner on a salad plate to keep your portions from getting too big. Your brain will see a full plate of food and you’ll be satisfied with less.
- Spice it up: Add some spice to your food for low or no calorie flavor. And did you know that spicy food can actually give your metabolism a little boost? Bring on that sriracha!
- Brush after every meal: A fresh feeling in your mouth will prevent you from eating more, plus it’s a way to signal to your brain that mealtime is over.
Do you have any weight loss tricks? Share with us on Facebook and Twitter!